Monday 17 October 2016

Making Sloe Gin

In my last post I wrote about going sloe picking and the benefits  of sloes, one of those benefits being sloe gin.

Well last night I finally decided to make some, and here is how I did it.

  • Wash your sloes and place them in a clean bowl or container.
 

  • Replicate the first frost by pricking the sloes with a cocktail stick, you can also put them in the freezer over night.

 

  •  Fill a clean empty bottle up a third of the way up with sloes.

 


 
  • A third of the way up with sugar.
 
(I used a funnel to pour the sugar in, to make it easier.)
 
 
  • And a third of the way up with gin.
(any gin of your choice will do.)

  • Give it a good shake and mix it all up, and wait for 2 to 6 months.

All the sugar settles on the bottom, so make sure to turn or shake the bottle each day for the next few months.


And by Christmas your sloe gin should be ready.

The last stage of the process is to strain your sloe gin and to remove any pips or anything that has not dissolved DO NOT DO THIS UNTIL THE VERY END, when it is ready to be put it in preferred sized bottles perfect for gift giving.

And that is all there is to it. 

It is so simple to make and tastes deliciously sweet with an almost syrupy texture.

Thanks so much for reading, and good luck having fun making sloe gin.

 
 


 " I am thankful to all those difficult people in my life, they have shown me exactly who I don't want to be."

No comments:

Post a Comment